This article guides the user through a series of steps to install the ATI Catalyst driver within a Microsoft Windows Vista based system.
Reasons to Install the Latest Catalyst Driver
- New Installation
- Application Requirements
- Display Issues
- Graphics Performance Issues
- Driver Related Error Messages
The Installation Process
- System readiness check (The following system requirements must be checked and available before installing the latest Catalyst driver)
- Administrator privileges
- Windows Vista with Service Pack 1
- Finding the latest ATI Catalyst driver
- Uninstall any legacy ATI or other display drivers (where applicable)
- Run the driver installation procedure
System Readiness Check
The following system requirements must be checked and available before installing the latest Catalyst driver
Administrator privileges are required before installing the Catalyst driver.
The Administrator account in Vista is disabled by default. If needed to enable it, refer to the picture below. Select Manage User Accounts. In the applet that opens, select the "Advanced" tab, and click the Advanced button under Advanced User Management. On the window that opens, select Users and find the Administrator account in the pane on the right. Right-click and select Properties.
Uncheck the Account is disabled checkbox and this will activate the account. Log in as Administrator to install the ATI Display Drivers.
If you do not have Administrator privileges, please contact the System Administrator for assistance.
Windows Vista Service Pack 1 or higher
To retrieve the Windows Vista Service Pack click on "Start" menu - right click on "My Computer" - choose "Properties".
On the "General" tab in the "System" area, look for references to Service Pack.
If the latest Service Pack version is not installed, manually download it via Windows Update: Click the Start Menu, All Programs, and select Windows Update
Microsoft maintains a website for this information and downloads. For more information, please check:
Finding the Latest ATI Display Driver
Download the most current version of the drivers for the product before proceeding. If you have trouble finding the driver for the ATI product a complete walkthrough guide can be found by searching for knowledgebase article: 737-26590 (locating the correct driver for my ATI Graphics Product)
Uninstall Any Previous Display Drivers (If Applicable)
Before installing the latest Catalyst drivers, any previous drivers must be uninstalled. This note only describes the uninstall process for previous ATI drivers. This step can be skipped if the system currently has no legacy display drivers installed.
- Open Programs and Features by clicking the Start button , Control Panel then select Programs and Features.
- Select ATI Catalyst Install Manager and click Change
- Choose "Express Uninstall ALL ATI Software", follow the on-screen directions and restart the system when finished
- Return to the "Uninstall or Change a Program" list and ensure that there are no other ATI specific software listed. Use the same method and remove remaining ATI software components and restart the system when complete.
Catalyst Software Suite Installation Instructions
Close all opened applications, including any live monitoring anti-virus/firewall/remote access/webcam software, before attempting to install the ATI software.
- Once the download process is finished, a prompt with a security warning by Microsoft Windows Vista will show up asking if you wish to run the file. Click "Run" to start the install process.
- A window will appear with the End User License Agreement. Click on the "Accept" button after agreeing to the license. Click "Next" to proceed.
- Next, a window will open and prompt with a destination folder indicating where the installation files will be saved to. Use the default folder or change the location by clicking the "Browse" button. Click the "Install" button to proceed.
- Start Catalyst Install Manager
- Select Express or Custom Installation and then click "Next".
- On the next window, a prompt will appear to specify the folder for installation.
- In the next Step the system will be analyzed
- On the next window customize the installation by un-checking the unneeded components.
- The installation procedure will start shortly thereafter and a dialog box will indicate the install progress.
- Click Finish to complete the installation process and restart the system when prompted.
- The installation process will be complete once the computer has restarted.