How do I identify the model of my AMD graphics card?
How do I install AMD Graphics drivers on a Windows® based system?
How do I Uninstall AMD Graphics drivers on a Windows® based system?
How do I install the graphics driver manually if the AMD Catalyst™ software suite fails to install?
A manual installation of the display drivers can be performed through the Windows® Device Manager:
- Click on the “Start” button, type “device manager” in the search field and click “device manager” from the search results
- Expand “Display Adapters”, right-click on the AMD Radeon™ entry and then select “Update Driver Software"
- Select the “Browse my computer for driver software” option.
- Click “Browse” and navigate to C:\AMD\Support\[Catalyst™ version]\ and click “OK”.
Note: This folder is usually extracted by default to C:\AMD\Support in the initial running of the AMD Catalyst™ software suite
- Click on “Next” to install the driver software and restart the computer after completing the driver software update
Why does the Catalyst Control Center not launch?
This may be caused by an incorrect driver installation:
Uninstall and reinstall the AMD Catalyst software. Please refer to the following knowledge base articles for uninstall and reinstall instructions:
Additionally,clearing out the appropriate assemblies in the Global Assembly Cache (GAC) area in the Windows assembly directory may fix the problem.
- Uninstall the AMD Catalyst software using the AMD Catalyst Install Manager, located in Programs and Features in the Windows Control Panel.
- Reboot the system when prompted and enter Safe Mode by pressing the F8 key repeatedly during boot up.
- Browse directly to "C:\Windows \assembly".
- Sort the entries by "Public Key Token", and then delete every entrywith"90ba9c70f846762e"as the Public Key Token. Note: Administrator privileges are required, and this must be done in Safe Mode.
- Restart the system and reinstall the AMD Catalyst software suite.
Is it necessary to update to the latest graphics driver every time a new AMD Catalyst software suite is released?
Graphics driver updates are made available to help correct outstanding issues or to introduce new features and optimizations. AMD suggests updating the graphics driver only if a particular issue is resolved in a new driver release or if required new features or optimizations are available. Please review the driver release notes made available with each driver release for more information. If the system is running well then there is no need to update the graphics driver.
Why does a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) occur during or immediately after installation of the AMD graphics driver?
A complete uninstall of the current driver is required before installing the new graphics driver. A BSOD can occur when the installation process conflicts with the old driver.
Please refer to knowledge base articles
GPU-33 for uninstall and reinstall instructions of the AMD Catalyst software.
Can I install only the display drivers from the AMD Catalyst™ Control Center package downloaded from AMD.com ignoring all other components?
The AMD Catalyst software suite contains optional components for installation. To only install the display driver, please perform a custom installation and uncheck "AMD Catalyst Control Center" from the component list.
Why is the driver version number displayed in the Windows® Device Manager, different from the AMD Catalyst version number downloaded from the driver page on AMD.com? For example, AMD Catalyst version 12.8 displays as 8.982 in the Window Device Manager.
AMD Catalyst software suite uses the YEAR/MONTH format to denote the release version. For example: AMD Catalyst 12.8 indicates that this software suite was released in August 2012. The version number 8.982 represents the actual internal version of the driver component in the software suite and can be found in the Windows Device Manager or the AMD Vision™ Engine/AMD Catalyst Control Center.
Why does the Windows Control Panel only list the AMD Catalyst™ Install Manager (CIM) in its program and features section? How can I see which components have been installed?
The AMD Catalyst Install Manager is a program that manages all the installed AMD Catalyst software components. Please run the AMD Catalyst Install Manager in either Repair or Uninstall mode to view the installed components.
Why am I getting an incompatible hardware error when trying to install the latest AMD Mobility Radeon™ driver for my laptop? Which laptop manufacturers are supported by the AMD Mobility driver?
Why has my AMD graphics card moved to a legacy driver support structure?
AMD has moved the AMD Radeon HD 4000, HD 3000, HD 2000 series products to a legacy driver support structure. The shift in this structure is due to these products having been optimized to their maximum potential from a performance and feature perspective.
How do I remove the AMD Catalyst software if it will not uninstall through the AMD Catalyst Install Manager in the Windows Control Panel?
If the AMD Catalyst software will not uninstall using the CIM, please use a third party cleaning tool to remove any remaining AMD graphics driver entries. For support using these tools, please contact the respective software company that provides them (e.g. Driver Sweeper or CC Cleaner, among others.
Why do my USB devices such as the keyboard or mouse stop working after an Express Uninstall of the AMD Catalyst software?
The AMD Catalyst Install Manager will remove all AMD drivers including chipset drivers for motherboards using AMD chipsets. This may cause some USB devices to stop functioning. Reinstalling the AMD motherboard chipset drivers will resolve the issue.
To locate and download the AMD chipset drivers, please visit http://www.amd.com/drivers
Where can I obtain Windows Server® 2003 drivers for AMD Radeon desktop products?
The AMD Radeon desktop graphics family is not supported under Windows Server 2003 or any other server operating systems. The only AMD graphics products which have Windows Server 2003 graphics driver support are the AMD FirePro Workstation products.
Please refer to this
list of FirePro Workstation products supported under Windows Server 2003.
Where can I download CPU drivers?
CPUs do not require drivers to operate. The motherboard BIOS controls most of the CPU functions such as voltage, fan, speed, and features like AMD's Cool 'n'Quiet™ technology, etc. Please refer to the motherboard manual on how to adjust the CPU settings.
Where can I download Mac OSX drivers?
Starting with OSX 10.5.x, AMD Radeon graphics drivers are included as part of the Apple Mac® OS X installation. Please update your Mac® OS X installation via Apple Update to ensure you have the latest available graphics driver.
Which Linux® distributions are supported and where can I download the drivers for these distributions?
The current supported Linux® distributions are listed below and drivers can be downloaded from
http://www.amd.com/drivers. For more information on Linux driver support please refer to the driver release notes.
- RED HAT Enterprise Linux suite
- Novell/SuSE product suite
Is there an ISV graphics certified driver for my CAD/design application?
Can I install two different ISV certified graphics drivers on the same system?
It is not possible to install two different ISV drivers on the same system. If the system has multiple CAD/design applications installed there are two options available:
- Download and install the ISV certified driver for the one CAD/design application that is being used most frequently.
Download and install the unified driver for the workstation graphics card.
- Installing an ISV certified driver ensures full compatibility and optimization with the qualified CAD/design application. The ISV driver detects the active application and adjusts the settings within the driver for best performance.Please note that in many cases the same ISV driver version is also certified for other applications. Please look at the ISV driver selection tool to compare driver versions for each application.
- A unified graphics driver is built to be compatible with a majority of CAD/design applications. However, it is not certified for any particular application.
How can I report a driver issue?