This article provides step-by-step instructions on how to install the AMD Catalyst Software on a system running Microsoft WindowsVista. The following reasons are why a customer should consider installing the AMD Catalyst Software:
- To perform a clean install of the AMD Catalyst Suite to resolve display issues, performance issues or error messages that may be related to missing / corrupt files associated with the software (e.g., MOM.Implementation, No compatible hardware found or Display driver is not compatible).
- A graphics card upgrade has been performed and requires a later version of the AMD Catalyst software to ensure compatibility and proper functionality.
- A later version of the AMD Catalyst software is required to take advantage of new AMD Catalyst features or updates.
- The AMD Catalyst software is required for a new system build.
The installation instructions include:
System Requirement Check: The following system requirements must be met in order for the AMD Catalyst software to install correctly
- Administrative Privileges
- The person installing the software must have Administrator privileges. Otherwise, the operating system may prevent the user from installing any new software onto the system.
- The Administrator account in Windows Vista is disabled by default. Refer to
Microsoft’s Support website for instructions on how to enable Administrator privileges.
- Windows Vista Service Pack 1 or higher
Refer to Microsoft’s
Service Pack Center for more information on how to install the latest service pack(s) for your operating system
How to obtain the latest graphics drivers for the graphics card
- Use the
AMD Driver Autodetect Utility to install the latest driver for your graphics card
- Refer to
Article GPU-131 for detailed instructions on how to use the AMD Driver Autodetect Utility
Note! If the AMD Driver Autodetect Utility is unable to identify the graphics card or operating system a manual download may be required.
- Refer to
Article GPU-130 for more information on how to manually find the latest drivers for your graphics car
- Close all opened applications, including any live monitoring anti-virus / firewall / remote access / webcam software, before attempting to install the AMD Catalyst software.
- When the installation file is opened, a Windows Vista security prompt will appear asking if you wish to run the file. Click
Run to start the install process.
- A Catalyst: Installation Folder window will open allowing the user to select the folder in which the installation files should be saved to. AMD recommends using the default location to reduce any issues that can occur during installation due to files that cannot be found or are missing.
- Click on
- The installation files will be extracted and saved to the specified location
- An AMD – Catalyst Install Manager window will open allowing the user to select the preferred language. Choose the preferred language and click on
- The install manager will provide a choice to install or uninstall the AMD software components. Click on
- The install manager will provide a choice to use an Express or Custom installation process. AMD recommends using the
Express installation process to ensure all necessary files required for full graphics card functionality are installed. Click
- The install manager will present the End User License Agreement. Read the End User License Agreement and click on
Accept if you agree to the terms and conditions.
- The Install Manager will analyze the system and install the required files.
- The Install Manager will confirm when installation is complete. Click on
- Restart the system.