This article provides instructions on how to obtain the latest drivers for AMD graphics cards using AMD’s Graphics Drivers & Software utility
There are several reasons to install the latest drivers for your graphics card:
- Increased functionality and performance through patches included in the drivers to resolve display issues, performance issues and error messages
- Compatibility of newly released computer hardware and applications through updates included in the drivers
- Improved usability by enabling new features and updating existing ones
- Before getting started, you will need to know the model of your graphics card. Refer to
Article GPU-55 for information on how to identify your graphics card
- Go to AMD’s
Graphics Drivers & Software page
- Select the type of system you have:
Desktop Graphics: These are commonly used home desktop PCs. AMD Radeon™ HD series graphics cards are examples.
Notebook Graphics: These are typically used in notebooks and laptops. The AMD Mobility Radeon HD series graphics cards are examples.
TV Tuner Products: These refer to devices that allow desktop computers and notebooks to receive live broadcast video and HDTV content. These tuner products also let you to watch, pause, rewind and record TV content on your PC. The AMD TV Wonder™ 750 Series is an example.
Workstation Graphics: These are commonly found in computers used for business. They are designed for use in the Computer Aided Design (CAD), Digital Content Creation (DCC) and simulation markets. The AMD FirePro™ Series is an example.
Integrated Motherboard Graphics: These are graphics components integrated into the motherboard of a computer system. Generally, they share RAM with the system rather than having dedicated memory on the video device itself. The AMD Radeon HD4290 Series is an example.
Embedded Graphics:These are graphics products built to deliver the high performance of desktop graphics for embedded applications often found in smaller form or thin clients. The AMD 785E and the AMD 780E are examples.
- Select the product family.
Note!When selecting the series, find the best match for your graphics card. For example, if you have an AMD Radeon HD 6950, the appropriate family would be AMD Radeon HD series.
- Select your product.
Note! Drivers provided by AMD can apply to more than one product and are therefore matched to a series of associated graphics cards. Note!When selecting the series, find the best match for your graphics card. For example, if you have an AMD Radeon HD 6950, the appropriate product would be the AMD Radeon HD 6000 series.
- If applicable, ensure the proper bus type is chosen (i.e. PCIe or AGP).
- Select the operating system installed on your system.
Note!If the desired graphics product is not listed, the driver may not be available or supported for your operating system or product model selected.
- Select Display Results.
- The download options offered will vary depending upon the selection made in the previous step.
For example, the following is provided for AMD Radeon™ HD series of products:
- A table that lists details about the download package, what it includes and a link to download the driver
- A link to previous drivers and software at the bottom, or on the right-hand side of the page
Note! Not all previous driver versions are provided for every product.
- A link to driver release notes at the top of the page
Click on the Download option that meets your specifications.
Install the latest drivers for the graphics card. For detailed instructions on how to install the latest graphics drivers, refer to:
GPU-33 for Windows 7
GPU-1 for Windows Vista
GPU-2 for Windows XP / Windows 2000
Note! Instructional videos are provided on AMD’s
Graphics Drivers & Software page to help you get the system to operate effectively by minimizing issues that can occur from improper installation.
This article applies to the following configuration(s):
- AMD Desktop products
- AMD Notebook products
- AMD TV on the PC products
- AMD Integrated Motherboard/Chipset products
- AMD Workstation products
- AMD Embedded products