Through the use of the motherboard’s BIOS utility or through third party monitoring software, the processor’s temperature reading is above its maximum operating temperature. However, the system is functioning as expected with no signs of instability, such as slow performance, blue screen, system hang or reboot.
If the system is not experiencing any instability, it is possible that the utility used to measure the temperature of the processor is inaccurate. The following troubleshooting suggestions can help determine if the issue is related to the temperate monitoring utility:
Determine how the utility obtains the processor’s temperature
Utilities that monitor the processors temperature can obtain the measurement in several different ways: through thermal sensors on the motherboard or digital temperature signals (DTS) on the processor. If a motherboard uses thermal sensors to obtain the processor’s temperature, depending on where the thermal sensor is placed, the temperature reading can be inaccurate.
- For best results, use a monitoring utility that extracts the temperature reading from DTS
Check the compatibility of the monitoring utility and motherboard
To obtain an accurate processor temperature reading, the utility must be compatible with the motherboard. There are several third party monitoring utilities available in the market. However, if the utility is not compatible with the motherboard or configured correctly, an accurate temperature reading may not be obtainable
- If using a monitoring utility provided / recommended by the motherboard manufacturer, check with the motherboard manufacturer to ensure:
- The utility was installed / configured correctly
- Verify that the motherboard’s BIOS revision is compatible
- If using a third party utility not recommended by the motherboard manufacturer:
- Determine how the utility obtains a reading of the processor’s temperature
- Check with the motherboard manufacturer to determine if the method used by the utility is effective when used with the motherboard
- If unable to determine if the utility is compatible with the motherboard, discontinue use of the utility
Ensure the monitoring utility is functioning correctly:
To determine if the monitoring utility is functioning correctly, try using another monitoring utility to compare temperature readings against.
- If the second utility is registering the processor’s temperature at an acceptable temperature, the original monitoring utility may be inaccurate
- Contact the utility manufacturer for further troubleshooting
- If unable to obtain an accurate temperature reading, discontinue use of the utility
If unable to determine if the utility is bad
Although the system seems to function with no issues, if unable to determine if the processor is operating at an acceptable temperature, ensure that the processor is not overheating
- Refer to
Article CPU-5 for instructions on how to resolve processor overheating issues