Where can I get my laptop graphics drivers?
AMD recommends that laptop drivers be obtained from the laptop manufacturer. KB article, GPU-28041 helps explain why it may also be necessary to use the driver that is provided by the laptop manufacturer.
However, AMD does offer generic laptop graphics drivers for compatible AMD Mobility Radeon™ HD Series products. AMD Mobility Radeon drivers can be found by visiting AMD’s driver hub .
Can I install the equivalent AMD Radeon™ HD Series desktop driver on my laptop?
No. AMD Radeon graphics differ from AMD Mobility Radeon graphics. The correct driver for the respective product must be installed.
What is Switchable Graphics, and what does it do?
Switchable Graphics is a technology that utilizes both the graphical processing capabilities of a discrete graphics adapter and the power efficiency of an integrated graphics adapter. Switchable Graphics technology engages discrete graphics only when it is needed for 3D applications, and uses energy-efficient integrated graphics capabilities the rest of the time.
With correct drivers installed on my Switchable-Graphics laptop, what should I see in Device Manager?
When in Energy Savings mode, only the low-power integrated graphics adapter will be listed in Device Manager. When in High-Performance mode, the integrated and discrete graphics adapter will be listed in Device Manager.
After enabling Dual Graphics in AMD Catalyst™ Control Center, how do I confirm that it is working?
When Dual Graphics support is enabled, an AMD Radeon Dual Graphics logo will appear in the top-right corner of a 3D application running in full screen mode. The logo can be turned on or off by following these steps:
- Right-click the AMD Catalyst™ Control Center logo in the Windows® notification area.
- In the menu that appears, select the graphics card associated with your APU, point to AMD Radeon Dual Graphics Settings, and select Show AMD Radeon Dual Graphics Status Icon to show the AMD Radeon Dual Graphics logo whenever AMD Radeon Dual Graphics is enabled.
- To hide the logo at all times, even when AMD Radeon Dual Graphics is enabled, clear the option.
How do I permanently disable the integrated low-power GPU in my Switchable Graphics laptop?
Not all laptops have the option for disabling the integrated GPU. The low-power integrated graphics adapter must be disabled in the BIOS if the option is available. Contacting the laptop manufacturer for correct instructions on this procedure is strongly recommended. The laptop manufacturer provides exclusive support for the BIOS.
What is the AMD Mobility Radeon Verification Tool?
The AMD Mobility Radeon Verification Tool helps to prevent the installation of incompatible drivers.
The tool must be installed and executed. If the laptop is verified as compatible, a download option will be provided for the driver package.
If the laptop is verified as not compatible, the tool will give this error:
“AMD Catalyst Mobility cannot be downloaded due to incompatible hardware/software on your computer. Your computer does not contain a proper graphics adapter.”
Do I need to configure anything in the AMD Catalyst Control Center after installing the correct driver for my Switchable Graphics enabled laptop?
The Switchable Graphics page in AMD’s Catalyst Control Center offers a variety of settings to delegate graphics responsibilities to a specific GPU. The settings provided may differ between laptop manufacturers and their implementation of the technology.
- Choosing a switchable graphics method (Dynamic or Fixed)
Assigning applications to GPUs
- Select the graphics processor based on application needs (Dynamic)
- Select the graphics processor manually or based on power source (Fixed)
Manually selecting a GPU
- Specify which GPU is best suited for 3D and video applications found in the list.
Automatically switching GPUs based on power source
- Delegate all graphics processing tasks to a specific GPU
- Configure the laptop so that it automatically uses the power-saving GPU when the laptop is running off the battery and the high-performance GPU when the laptop is plugged in (AC Power).
How do I enable/disable Dual Graphics after installing the correct driver for my Dual Graphics laptop?
The AMD Radeon Dual Graphics page in the AMD Catalyst Control Center can be used to enable or disable Dual Graphics.